Injured by a Drunk Driver?

If you were injured by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to punitive or exemplary damages.  These damages are in addition to your compensatory damages for things such as medical bills, wage losses, and pain and suffering.  A claim for punitive or exemplary damages may arise where there is evidence such as excessive speed, alcohol or drug abuse, or other evidence of gross negligence, willful and wanton, or reckless conduct.

Keep in mind that a claim for punitive damages is not necessarily limited to the at-fault driver.  For example, a claim for punitive damages would be proper if the owner of a car handed the keys to someone who was obviously intoxicated.  Where the accident was caused by a defect in a vehicle, a punitive damage claim against the manufacturer may be appropriate in cases where the manufacturer did not perform standard testing, manufactured the vehicle as it did despite test results showing that would result in a dangerous product, or made optional certain items on the car necessary for safety in order to increase profits.

If you were injured by a drunk or intoxicated driver, please call the attorneys at Kidneigh & Kaufman today so they can discuss your case with you.


DUI Cases

Kidneigh & Kaufman, P.C. represents clients in both criminal and civil matters.  One of the most common criminal charges is Driving Under the Influence.  The odds are that everyone knows someone who has been charged with Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Ability Impaired.  A DUI or DWAI can have serious implications for individuals including potential jail time, losing your driver’s license, probation and associated costs, fines, alcohol classes, and mandatory community service.  After receiving a DUI, many people do not know what to do.  Even though people may not be ready to hire an attorney right away, it is important that they protect their rights after they receive a DUI or DWAI.  One way people can do this is to request a hearing with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 7 days after receiving their DUI or DWAI.  By doing so, people may be able to get a temporary license until the hearing and may be able to get their licenses back at the hearing.  However, if you don’t request the hearing within 7 days of your DUI or DWAI, you will lose your right to a hearing absent special circumstances.  Call Kidneigh & Kaufman, P.C. today for your DUI or DWAI case.  

Home | Contact Us | About Us | Directions | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions